The Leadership Crisis
HR practices may inadvertently facilitate the rise of unwise leaders, exacerbating a global leadership deficit.
Issues in Current HR Practices
- Rigidity in HR systems allows manipulation by unscrupulous individuals.
- Over-reliance on metrics and analytics strips HR of its human touch.
- Standard performance appraisals obstruct genuine conversations.
HR at a Crossroads
HR must choose between remaining numbers-driven or rediscovering its human-centric roots to contribute meaningfully to long-term business success.
Redefining HR: Connectors in the Organization
- Core Values Connection: Facilitate ethical conversations rather than just compliance training.
- Diversity Management: Promote co-learning partnerships for effective diversity management.
- Team Connection: Shift to principles that encourage teamwork and shared responsibility.
- Wider World Connection: Consider the well-being of employees’ current and future families.
- Voice to the Unheard: Enable a platform for suppressed or ignored viewpoints.
- Conflict Resolution: Advocate for mediation over traditional grievance procedures to humanize conflict resolution.
The Way Forward
- Traditional HR practices are becoming increasingly irrelevant.
- Embrace the uncertainty in today’s volatile work environment as an opportunity for HR transformation.
Final Thought: Consider renaming “Human Resources” to better reflect a focus on human connection.